Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Gratitude Challenge: Day Three

I'm telling you...nothing sets up your day like a little cartoon viewing.  I'm grateful to be able to laugh at stupid stuff.  It definitely improves your coffee.  I have favorite cartoons - it used to be Scooby Doo, and don't get me wrong, I'm still a big Scooby fan.  In my 20's I would drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and watch Scooby on Saturday mornings.  I moved onto the Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, and Jimmy Neutron, and now I like The Penguins and Planet Sheen.  The Sheen show is a spin-off of Jimmy Neutron - even cartoons have spin-offs, and the Sheen character just cracks me up.  Even better are the commercials!  Today I saw one for Glowjamas!  You can write on them, and they glow in the dark.  Plus, they are washable, dryable and you can start over with new messages.  ($19.95 + $7.95 shipping and handling)  I mean you just don't see these types of products on grown-up TV.

Another thing that I like to do is read in the bathroom.  OK, not glamorous, but when I was a kid, it was the only place I could read uninterrupted until I perfected selective hearing.  I am so grateful for junk mail catalogs.  They are perfect bathroom reading.  Not too involved, and can be put down on a moment's notice without losing the gist.  I love moving into a place where the prior occupant was a big shopper who always checked the catalog box when she ordered something.  Berkeley was great; the girl who lived there loved to catalog shop, and we always had an eclectic assortment.  Every mail day was a possible surprise.

My final gratitude of the day is having my own personal news source.  Drake always gets up much, much, much earlier than I do, and he likes to peruse news sites.  He filters and edits out the stuff I don't need to know, and gives me not only the weather report for the day, but also a capsule of important breaking news.  It's so efficient, and I don't have to wallow in all the bad news every media outlet is so delighted to shower me with as well as the endless repetition.  He also does follow up sleuthing.  (Example:  Why DID Ron Washington resign?)  FYI for non-Texans, he's the former skipper of the Texas Rangers who resigned for mysterious reasons this past week.  Believe me when I tell you having your own personal news source is heaven in this media overloaded world.            

1 comment:

Espie Tamayo said...

Had to laugh at several of your blog items. I, too, read in the bathroom (doesn't everyone?) F's faves are Sports Illus., and Golf. I enjoy my home decor mags, and sometimes I even take in my Nook. Guilty pleasures!! As for cartoons, can't think of any on TV right now, but I always read the newspaper comics: Luanne, Zits, Pickles, and Wally are among my favorites. Wally is a small dachshund, not unlike our own Bud. Thanks for the chuckles. Your blogs are always interesting. Hope all continues well. I'm scheduled for tendon repair surgery on the 25th. If you have time, think of me that day, and send off a little prayer. Surgeon is detaching the Achilles tendon to shave off a bone spur on my heel, in addition to the tear. Have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. Hugs, YF, ET