Thursday, September 11, 2014

Gratitude Challenge: Day 4

It's 9/11.  For my generation and our daughter's generation, it's like saying December 7th.  I just got an email from a friend I was teaching with that day telling me in retrospect she is so grateful to have been with friends that day.  We all remember where we were, and what we were doing.  The first time I saw the video of the plane flying into the tower, my initial, irrational, interior mental response was, "That can't be real.  That's got to be a special effect."  A fleet second later, my stunned mind comprehended it WAS real, and my second thought was, "The world just changed - forever."

Like Christine, I'm grateful I was with friends that horrible day.  I'm also grateful our principal banned the use of all TV's and radios at my school that day.  The idiot principal at LD Bell High School, Sarah's school, let the TV's in every room blare non-stop 'news' and pictures all day long.

The instant school was over for me that day, I burned up the freeway driving at breakneck speed getting to Sarah's high school to pick her up.  I never picked her up - not cool, you know for a teen's MOM to pick her up like she's some little kid.  Not that day.  Sarah Lynn was just a few weeks short of being sixteen years old, and she was never so glad to see her mother in her entire short life.  For you see, today I am so damn grateful my daughter is alive.   Sarah had been standing on the top of the World Trade Center in July, just two months prior to the attacks.  Today, I say a prayer for all the mothers who aren't as lucky as I was.

It's 9/11.  Thirteen years later it's still as senseless and enraging as it was on the day the towers fell.        

No comments: