Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Horrible Hill

It doesn't look THAT bad, does it?  Just a sidewalk curving gracefully up and up shaded by newly verdant trees.   Well, what's that old saw?  LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING.   We live only about 4 blocks (at most) from the USU campus, and we have to go up this hill every time we want to access the campus. 

Logan is lovely; the crown jewel of the Cache Valley, but it is perched right on the edge of the upturn into the mountains, and Utah State sits on top of one of the slightly risen plateaus at one edge of town.  Now, that doesn't sound like such a big deal, does it?  WRONG. 
There aren't too many things I admire about Arizona.  Everyone knows that I despise its overall 'brown' theme.  For some reason the desert just soaks up color and transforms it to buff, or sand, or beige, tan, almond, or my personal favorite:  terra cotta.  But one big smooth spot of Arizona, especially in the Phoenix area is that if you are in Paradise Valley, a misnomer if I've ever heard one, it is FLAT.  Bike riding is a pleasure.  You never have to contend with a hill of any size except for the few man made ones scattered here and there.

Logan, oh, Logan, hill is thy name.  My personal nemesis is the horrible hill I have to walk up every day, sometimes twice a day.  First, it's the culmination of two other smallish hills that I have to drag my uncool backpack on wheels up every morning at 7:30 am.  I'm slightly breathless when I get to the bottom of the H. H.  I gaze up, and each time think to myself, "I'm going to conquer you today, sucker!"    And every day the damn hill wins.  Oh, I finally get up it, but not without standing about half way up trying to suck as much air as possible into my lungs.

How steep is it, you ask?  Let me tell you that DRAKE (not me, but DRAKE who does numbers) estimates a 15% grade.  In the middle of the climb, you are almost face to face with the concrete, and notice the picture - they don't put handrails up for nothing, you know.   Even more ignominious are the lovely gliding girls and boys that effortlessly climb it.  I try to pretend that I'm contemplating the lovely view halfway up. but none of us are fooled for an instant.  Some days I think I can hear the hill laughing, but it's probably just the 20 somethings snickering at my obvious inability to walk up the H.H. without stopping.  
Ah, well, tomorrow is another day, and the view really is lovely..............         

5 comments:

Cheri McGovern said...

As much as I'd hate the climb up, I'd almost hate the kill going down! Or, is it like the hills our parents climbed back in the day?

Cheri McGovern said...

Oops, hill, not kill!

Judi said...

I remember that hill. Up both ways but also barefoot in the snow.

Cheri McGovern said...

Yep Judy, that's the hill my Dad climbed ;)

Anonymous said...

I ride my bike up the hill closest to it that curves from 500 North to 700 North. I have only walked my bike up the hill you are writing about.