Monday, June 4, 2007

My First Blog................. may be my last.....




Grace and Peace.


I've wanted to "blog", but wondered if I really had anything to say. I suppose we are going to find out. Somehow it seems rather mind numbing to use this space for "today I went to the grocery store", so I think I am going to try and be more metacognitive, as well as include musings about life rather than documenting minutiae. Hmm.....now I'm wondering if I spelled that right. Onward.


Currently, I've been pondering spiritual direction. I have been using a spiritual formation study to find my spiritual direction. I just finished teaching formational ways to encounter scripture. That's just a fancy way of saying - "what is God saying to me personally" rather than "when did this happen, who wrote it, where did it happen, and what is the message for Christian life?" It changed the way I read the Bible, changed the way I think about the parables, and certainly changed the way I think about the Psalms. Now I'm eager to understand what I'm supposed to "do" rather than what am I supposed to "think" about a passage. This week my mission is to show patience especially to someone I have a tendency to be impatient with. Love is patient. (1 Corinthians - 13:4) It just occurred to me that I've blown the patience thing today with two people - the gutter salesman (does he count?) and the Cigna help line. I think I'm getting it - I'm called this week to be patient with people I DON'T have a personal relationship with.
I have a close friend who talks about "opportunities". There are so many opportunities in this life to reflect agape. I've learned I need to be polishing up my mirror for better reflection.
Next study I'm leading is called "embracing prayer", and I'm worried that I don't have a good enough prayer life to lead a study about it.
As always, waiting to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Jalyss

No comments: