Friday, June 8, 2007

Greetings,

I finished the last class of the spiritual formation study tonight. As always, I learned more than I taught. The teaching tonight I received was to concentrate on your blessings rather than your problems. I've been in a blue funk for several days struggling with what has seemed like a never ending list of difficulties. Pain (always), but it has been wearing me down. Worry about the insurance problem (I've been turned down for health insurance.) My Dad (how long is my brother going to be able to cope, and general anxiety about the whole Altzheimer's situation). Hassle about the new roof, new gutters, etc. Applying for disability so I can get insurance - knowing I really am disabled, but not really believing anyone else will believe me. (Catch this: I actually had a doctor say to me this week, and this is a quote: "You won't be declared disabled because you dont' take enough pain medication." LIKE I WOULDN'T LIKE TO JUST GOBBLE IT DOWN 24/7! However, I am convinced all I would get in return is an addiction and no real pain relief. Anyway, you get the drift.

What I really need to be thinking is that I have a great marriage. I have a healthy, happy child who is sailing into adulthood. I live warm and dry every day. I always have enough to eat. I own more possessions that 99% of the world could even dream of having. I'm surrounded by friends who care about me. I live in a great town that has a wonderful quality of life. I am politically free - no one's going to throw me in jail because I think the President is a doofus, and say it outloud to anyone I care to. God is working in my life. What a joy.

Now, look at that second paragraph - what do I have to worry about? Sometimes you just have to convince yourself - and with hard heads like me - it's over and over again. I'm so smart about some things, and so unbelieveably dumb about others.

Count your blessings - may be trite, may be banal, may be simplistic, but it works.

Grace and Peace - have you counted your blessings today?

No comments: