| Picture of the Smithsonian Museum of American History with the Washington Monument in the background |
I've been waiting for the uproar to begin over the exhibition by the Smithsonian Museum of American History of the sestercentennial (250th) anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. I don't know how many of you have actually SEEN the exhibition, but I have. Well, to be totally truthful, I saw all but the last section on the third floor. My body finally rebelled, and I couldn't go any further. This exhibition was all about being inclusive. I think the curators wanted each visitor to find something in the exhibits that was part of his or her experience no matter what race, what religion, what ethnic group, or your age. The older you are, the more 'stuff' you recognize. The exhibit starts with this sign:
There are signs after some objects, naming it, and describing what characteristic it represents in the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. Some of the characteristics, all of which describe the American character in the past 250 years, are words like empower, assert, challenge, organize, endure, speak out, trust, believe, design, craft and emigrate to name a few.
The exhibition covers three floors with an east and west side on each floor. Sprinkled among the objects are real people in costume showing off some of the objects. My fav was the woman who 'biked' around the museum in her bloomers taking pictures with her stereograph and talking about herself as if she were living in 1900. I knew ABOUT bloomers (think long skorts with ties at the knee), but I'd never seen an actual pair. This is what a young woman, who has adopted 'rational dress' wears to ride her new bicycle. For women, the bicycle meant FREEDOM of movement.
The very first locomotive was imported to the United States from England in 1831. It ran on a track between New York and Philadelphia - the nation's two largest cities. The travel time was cut from two days by road to five hours. Speed and efficiency, two characteristics Americans prize.
[Aside: During the 19th/early 20th centuries, the railroad changed the United States the way electronics changed the United States from the second half of the 20th and the beginning of the 21st centuries. Again, speed, efficiency, innovation, and widespread adoption are hallmarks of American characteristics.]
A major goal of the country during the 19th and 20th centuries was to tie the country together via infrastructure. Here's the car which made the first transcontinental trip in 1903.
What you really have to like is these two guys brought along a pet dog. Notice, the dog has his own goggles. How American.
Some of the exhibition were under 'big' topics, like FOOD. Wildly popular was the Julia Child kitchen. Next to Julia Child's famous French cookbook is a second one written by Peg Bracken entitled "I Hate Cooking".
| Julia Child's kitchen |
I know everyone is waiting for another super popular object: Dorothy's ruby slippers. Here they are.
I took 263 pictures, and remember I missed seeing 1/6th of the exhibition. Sorry about that, but I think in over 200 pictures, you can decide if you think the Smithsonian did a good job/so-so job/or a bad job of documenting 250 years of independence.
Here's the link:
No comments:
Post a Comment