Monday, July 16, 2012

Anticipation

Our daughter is 26 years old and for the past six years she has lived in Austin.  We knew this vagabond lifestyle would take us mostly away from her.  We manage to spend the holidays together - this past year we rented a condo in Austin for November, December and part of January. 
Currently, she's packing up to head for three years in Connecticut.  I'm very excited to be going for a 'let's get packed' trip to Austin beginning on Wednesday.  I'll be there a week, and it will be the first time in two years that I will get to spend some extended time with her.  As a mother of an adult daughter, this is golden time.  AND, I get her all to myself because Drake is staying in Logan.  

I'm so glad I'm no longer the most embarrassing woman in the room.  I'm so pleased that my IQ has risen by at least 100 points.  I'm so thrilled that my wardrobe choices will not be critiqued and found wanting.  I'm absolutely giddy about not having to do the 'mom' crap of monitoring her health, her state of warmth or chill, and her clothing, shoe, or jacket choices.   

It just doesn't bet better than this......

1 comment:

angela said...

We have something in common. I have a 26 ye old daughter who moved to NYC after graduating from ISU, in Pocatello, Idaho. She was tired of Idaho and Utah. What better time of life than now to live in NYC.

I don't think my IQ has improved or how I dress. We are definitely the country hicks now that she's among sophistication.