Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It wasn't just another Art Festival

Summerfest is the big Logan Festival each June.  July is devoted to Opera - go figure.  Anyway, Summerfest was a collection of 175 tents laid out in a big X with a portable food court and entertainment venue (a stage with a folding chair audience).  The tents were filled with arts and crafts; heavier on the crafts than the arts.

This festival is held on the grounds of the Tabernacle, and the grounds are beautiful.  A variety of  wonderfully mature trees provide shade and it's covered some kind of weirdo grass - not bermuda, not St. Augustine - and, of course, no one here knows what it's called.  Once again, I'm finding new vegetation that no one who lives here knows the name of.  As the summer season progresses, I sometimes get AHA moments especially with some of the trees I pass walking to class everyday.I now know what a live cherry tree looks like - and there are actually cherries growing on it.  I've also discovered a pear tree and an apple tree, all three about 100 feet from our condo.  

There's a perfume corridor on my way to class.  Some row of unknown trees is BLOOMING.  The clumps of flowers hang down like small bells each flower the size of your little finger, and you can smell the fragrance all over the campus.  Again, no one I've asked has any idea what the name of the tree is.  I'm going to have to break out the tree book and see if I can deduce what it is.  

Back to Summerfest.......the food was terrific - definitely a cut above fair food.  I had a crepe.  The potters were the best artists of the show, and we bought a piece.  Drake bought me a new necklace of varisite - a mineral found in northern Utah as a souvenir of this trip.  It's pale green with some white varigation in it.  The very best part of the day:  the weather, it was perfect.      

           

No comments: