Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Arts and Crafts

Today was another museum day, but the ones we saw today aren't the most popular even though they are in the "museum district".  We went to see the American Folk Art Museum and the Museum of Art and Design (formerly the American Craft Museum).  These are actually complementary in that the Folk Art Museum specializes in pre-20th century pieces and the Art and Design focuses on contemporary art pieces.  This is the stuff that the debate always rages whether it is really 'art' or not.  Even today, Drake was quite skeptical - not of the older stuff, but of about 1/3rd of the contemporary pieces that we saw.

The Folk Art Museum has declared this year is the Year of the Quilt - as everyone knows, you really had to twist my arm to go here.  The quilts were amazing, and we are even going to get to see more of them at Lincoln Center tomorrow night where this museum has a 'branch' that's open until 7:30 in the evening. 

I also saw Central Park from another angle - the corner of it from Columbus Circle - made famous in the Judy Holiday/Jack Lemon movie "It Could Happen to You".  Columbus Circle figures prominently in the movie, but I feel sorry for Peter Lawton who had to DRIVE his car around and around the circle.  I can't imagine why ANYONE would ever want to drive a car here.  We also ate lunch at at Irish Pub today, and I has some succulent corned beef and a Harp's, of course.  I'm pretty sure there's going to be a pedi-cab ride around Central Park in my future.  It looks like a fun way to see the Park.  We look so tourist that we actually had two people accost us trying to sell the pedi-cab tour to us.  One of the things I learned on my Gray-Line tour is you can tour the park by horse and carriage and smell horse-shit or for 1/2 the price and no horse manure smell do it by pedi-cab. 

Tomorrow is the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, and LINCOLN CENTER!  It's ballet night tomorrow night with a lovely dinner preceding the performance.  I still haven't had a bad meal here.

Here are the pictures from today - I hope you enjoy the pieces of art as much as I did

https://picasaweb.google.com/jalyss1/NewYorkCityAmericanCraftMuseumAndMuseumOfArtAndDesign?authkey=Gv1sRgCNf5uPrI6qr0gAE# 

No comments: