Monday, September 20, 2010

Olympic Peninsula - Neah Bay

Today was a great day. I like nothing better than being at the beach. We are in Neah Bay on the far northwestern corner of the Olympic Peninsula. I'm looking out the window at the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This afternoon I beachcombed (almost my very favorite activity- well, it's one of the favorite "G" rated ones, at least), and I feel relaxed for the first time since September 2nd which was the day my Dad broke his hip. I've been in a complete funk from then until today. I came back to Washington so mentally drained that I've barely been able to function. Finally, I sense that I'm back to how I like to feel both physially and mentally, and it's all due to being able to walk on a wonderful beach, pick up stuff, and look out at the ocean.

The beach here isn't 'pretty' like the white sand beaches of Florida or endless like the brown sand beaches of Galveston. The mountains covered in verdant ferns, fir and pine trees come almost directly down to the shoreline, and in lots of spots, there are cliffs or rocks instead of beach. The shells are pretty much clam shells, but the rocks and beach glass tumble into the beaches here in abundance. Everybody knows how much I like rocks. There are birds everywhere; types of whom I've never seen before.

We had a leisurely drive over here stopping in Port Townsend (where the ferry let us off) to tour the part of town packed with Victorian architecture. Then we headed to Sequim (pronounded Skwim) where I visited a Lavender Farm - and bought lavender which has definitely calmed the car down. It's not only mellowed out, but it smells good too. We also stopped at a Native American Arts Gallery and finally bought the piece of art we've been looking for to represent our time in the Pacific Northwest. We decided some time ago that we wanted to buy Northwestern Native American art, but just hadn't seen the piece - well, at least the piece we could afford. Today we bought a wall hanging of handcarved wood of a kingfisher catching a salmon. It's in a Northwestern stylistic representation, and even better, it's Drake's birthday present.

Onto Port Angeles, the gateway city to the Olympic Peninsula where we had lunch at a local upscale cafe - the Dungeness crab cakes were delish. Then we bought and shipped Sarah's birthday gift - not telling what it is since her birthday isn't until Sunday when she will be one quarter of a century old. I'm not quite sure how that happened. Smoke and mirrors, I think. This is landmark birthday for everybody in the Smith family - Sarah is 25, but we are 60 this year. Sarah Lee (Sarah Lynn's namesake - someone I've known since I was about 12) and I were chitchatting about being 60, and we both agree that we don't feel 60. Inside I think I'm about 40. That's how I feel today anyway. I used to feel about 28 inside, but not anymore - I've internalized too much pain over the past 10 years. I think every death you have to grieve through ages you. Other things that have aged me internally are: motherhood, chronic physical pain, and looking in the mirror.

We spent the afternoon driving along one of America's newest National Scenic Byways - Washington Hwy 112 along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Fifty miles of road snaked through lush forests, twisted around mountains, flirting all the time with dipping toward and away from the sea shore. The only slight problem is I could have used some dramamine - the twists and turns did a bit of rock and roll number on my full stomach, and if I had been so inclined, I probably could have talked myself into being carsick.

We've rented the upper story of a house right on the beach just outside of Neah Bay. It's 50 feet to get to a walk on a the beach. I can hear the ocean waves from here. Tomorrow we are going to the farthest northwest point of the lower 48 states - Cape Flattery. We're touring an archeological museum and doing a beach hike (Shi-Shi Beach in the Olympic National Park). Should be an action packed day - full of new sights. Just my kind of day. I love seeing new flora, new sights, and new people. Happy days are here again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back in the storytelling again. Thanks for being you.

Joe and Pat said...

Sorry for the anonymous part. Fingers got in the way!