Friday, March 5, 2010

A Milestone Day

Today, the movers came, saw and carried 90% of what was left in my house out the door, onto the truck and into the storage unit. Well, perhaps it was a little more complicated than that. First, the look on these movers' faces when they saw Drake's six page storage moving day plan was priceless. I can just hear these guys over their dinner tables tonight: "Honey, you aren't going to believe this guy we moved today."

There were two movers. One guy, Matthew, was 45ish with a son who is going to the UIL State Championships tomorrow to power lift, and a wife who made sure that all the son's grades were "A". As Matthew put it, he gets "B's", he don't play. He was so proud of his son and of his wife for demanding the best. Lord knows I would have kissed the feet of parents like them when I was teaching. The other guy, David, was 25ish and thought Drake was crazy. He didn't say anything; he just telegraphed his message with body language. I didn't catch him rolling his eyes, but it was only because I didn't look at him at that exact moment.

Now, I've gently poked fun at Drake's project manager approach to the storage unit, his graphed out storage unit from all dimensions, and oh, the newest wrinkle - the order of moving truck loading/unloading and the storage tub plan. I'm formally here to eat crow. It worked beautifully. We have a storage unit that has every drawer exposed, so it can be used. There's an aisle. There's a map that shows where every single item we own is stored. There's an inventory of the contents of every tub. It all worked like clockwork. We got the entire house moved and stored by 1:30 this afternoon. I was eating a Reuben sandwich by 2:00 pm. Drake's comment: "I'm very pleased with the outcome." Can you imagine? I would have been fist pumping, high fiving, button popping, woohooing. Drake was pleased with the outcome - doesn that just give you the picture of opposites attract?

The milestone of the storing of our things. I have to figure out how I feel about this. The house is sad - it's empty and echoing (literally). Fortunately, I'm emailing the wife of the new owners, and she's so excited. I believe that houses need to be loved. I think they hate sitting empty. Their job is to shelter people. It's their highest and best use. We have loved this house, and now it's time for new people to love this house.

It's time to move on. New adventures. Excitement is in the air. Next challenge: The Moving Sale.

No comments: